17 September 2009

Playing catch-up

Taking a break from doing some catch-up work around the house today. Lots to do, so I won't type much (or maybe I will).

A post on a list server I watch mentioned Copenhagenize.com, a blog that has a lot of good reading in it. Needless to say, it will be on my watch list for a while.

An anonymous response to one blog entry included the gem: "...I came to realize that it is the attitude and the motor that moves the bike forward, and that obstacles are there to be overcome."

This blog entry has some poster ideas worth considering. I'm sure that many of the motorists' lobbying efforts to reduce bicycle traffic stem from "Traffic safety" messages similar to those cited in this entry. I'm also convinced that to truly do something to improve the safety of our roadways, we need to address the deeper problem--inattentive or scofflaw drivers of motor vehicles and the law enforcement process that allow them to continue--rather than the perceived threat to manic motion of a bicycle in the roadway. David Crowell linked to Motor Mania, a video done by Walt Disney some sixty years ago in his blog several months back. I see elements of that in myself at times, and it's one of the reasons I prefer riding--I don't especially like who I become when I'm driving.

Oh, well, back to the chores.

No comments: