It's Bike to Work Week. As I've said in prior posts, most of the folks who read this already "get it." Bike to Work Week and Day are more about those who are on the proverbial fence about riding to work--those who want to, but who feel there are too many obstacles for them. It's about encouraging them to ride and helping them to find ways over or around those obstacles.
Of course, I wound up driving to work today. It was raining, and I thought I heard thunder, as I did one day last week.
I almost committed to driving to work tomorrow, too, until I realized that the reason I was considering driving--to get Jenn's Giro to the store for a test-ride by a potential recumbent buyer--could also be accomplished by riding the bike without needing the car to haul it. I have clothes at work and I have lunch stuff there, so I won't need a lot of cargo space.
On a more somber note: Wednesday, 19 May is the day for the annual Ride of Silence. Many communities across North America and even the world will observe this event, held at 7:00 PM local times, to honor the memory of our cycling friends who have been killed in crashes with motor vehicle (mis)operators. I have several folks to remember this year, including my friend Sharon, who was almost as active in the local cycling community as she was in her home in Alabama.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment