...but not as far back this time. In the early 1980s, I worked for a couple years as a pump attendant in a full-service gas station (remember those?), and became friends with the assortment of coworkers. Louisville is a small enough town that I would encounter one or another of those guys--or a wife of one--from time to time in my getting around town, but I didn't keep up with them on a daily, weekly, or even annual basis.
One of that crew died a few days ago. I hadn't seen John in five or ten years, and regret not keeping up with him. I was glad to go to the visitation and funeral--well, glad is not the right word, as it implies, well... I was glad to see some of John's friends and family--his first wife, who remembered me immediately, although it had been thirty years since I had seen her, the gang from my time at the gas station, and a few new connections as well. I would not have not gone, as I told some of the folks there.
The focus of the gathering was not as much fun as the last time I cranked up the way back machine, but I'm glad I went. There are some good folks who have influenced my life, and it's worth paying homage to those influences from time to time.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment