It hasn't seemed like much has been "blog-worthy" of late. A few points, though:
I've not been posting my miles on the Mycyclinglog site for four or five weeks. I've mostly gotten them written down in my notebook, figuring to eventually get them recorded online, but it's been hard to motivate myself to logging miles after the dropoff at the end of May.
I tweaked my back a couple weeks ago, and that put me out of commission for work much of the said last two weeks. I'm doing better now, so should be at semi-normal ability to move and earn money soon.
In spite of all that, I got to enjoy several live music opportunities over the last two weeks. Garvin Gate Blues Festival is a long-time favorite venue for me, and Jenn and I had a great time digging the tunes again this year. Nora Jean was impressive as the headline act for Saturday night--the general sense is that we want to hear her when she's healthy, now (she came despite a cold that was hard on her voice, and was good enough sick that she's bound to be absolutely marvelous when healthy!).
CycLOUvia happened the same weekend. It was an eerie feeling being on Bardstown Road just after it was closed to motor traffic--almost like being in a Twilight Zone episode. Ten minutes later, it was getting crowded as folks figured out that it was, indeed, closed to motorized mayhem and human mayhem ensued. I wish we could have stayed longer, but I had made plans to attend another live music event.
Kiya Heartwood was a friend when we were in high school--she was a year ahead of me when I was at Eastern. Since then, she has gone on to form the band Stealin Horses, and has continued with that and other singing and songwriting projects. Another friend of hers from our teen years hosted a living room concert at her house near Buckner. I got to see some folks I hadn't seen in decades, a couple with whom I've reconnected over the last year or two, and of course, got to chat with Kiya. Jenn had no idea how much she would enjoy Kiya's music.
Here Come the Mummies played in Lexington Thursday night. If they are coming to a venue near you, check them out!
By this weekend, I was feeling flexible enough to get on the bike a bit more. Some friends were having a little bike ride to celebrate that River City Fashion Week had some bicycle-themed stuff, so Jenn and I dressed up far more than usual and joined in the fun. Pictures courtesy of Mary Beth Brown.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment