After a few days of odd-for-the-season temperatures, seasonal-normal temperatures have returned. As a result, the likelihood of severe storms has dropped sharply.
I don't mind temperatures in the thirties, now. I don't really even mind when the temperature is in the twenties, now that I have better cool- and cold-weather cycling clothing. Nice, thin layers of warmth are good, as they trap air between them (even warmer), and allow for modifying while out and about (to keep from getting too warm).
Of course, I'm also putting out some heat when I ride a bicycle from place to place, so I don't need as much insulation as someone who is standing still or walking slowly on a sidewalk. I'm not out for long, these days, as my trips are usually less than five miles for errand-running, compared with the hour or so I would be on the bike getting to work this time last year.
Jenn, for example, does some volunteer work three days a week, and it involves being on a sidewalk for an hour or more early in the day, sometimes walking, but never walking fast for long. As a result, she finds it useful to wear much warmer clothing than I need when I'm pedaling my bicycle in similar weather.
On the event horizon, there is a colloquium in Florida I'm trying to attend. Its title is "I am Traffic," and its focus is on how to educate cyclists to ride as part of traffic. I am online friends with some of the folks organizing this event, and I'm looking forward to it. Several online friends plan to attend, and I am eager to meet them face-to-face.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment