11 April 2015

Cycling Savvy classes are scheduled!

With this post, I am ending what has probably been the second-longest period of not making blog posts.

The longest period ended when I started typing this blog five or six years ago.

At times I wonder whether to close this blog. My original purpose was unclear to me even at the time, but this blog quickly became a way of holding myself accountable for bicycling more and leaving the car home more. Many of my topics have been closely related to my cycling experiences and those of others who have influenced my thinking. Some have been reactions to the actions of others who would alter my cycling experience for better or worse. A few have been on other things, like the passing of my long-time friend Aloysius Ebenezer Qat, Esq, six years ago.

Much of my social commentary has taken place on that book of faces, as the thoughts are more ephemeral and of narrower focus (and value) than what would justify a blog post.

In any case:

I have been working a bit to get the Cycling Savvy Louisville classes for 2015 on the schedule, and can announce them to the general public now. The May and June classes are on the schedule!!

I am deeply grateful to the fine people at Spalding University (having been a student there for three semesters in the early 1980s, I keep wanting to call it Spalding College), who have been more than helpful in their dealings with me. They are providing state-of-the-art classroom space for our Truth and Techniques sessions and lovely flat parking lots for our Train Your Bike sessions. They are even welcoming our students to eat at their student center between the Train Your Bike and Tour of Louisville sessions!

On a more personal note: People who know me well know that my grandmother passed away on January 11th of this year. She was 97 years old. A few days before she passed, she looked at me and said, "We've been friends for a long, long time!" I think there was some dementia--enough that I've not been sure she really knew who I was the last few times I visited her--but she knew I was someone important to her. She spent her last week in a hospice facility a couple miles from her home. I was sad that she couldn't experience her home one last time--she had been in a convalescent care facility for six or seven weeks following a fall from which she never truly recovered--but it wasn't to be.

I have been honored to have been her favorite grandson. At times, I suspect I was also the least favorite grandson. I didn't have any competition for either title, as the siblings and cousin on that side of my family tree are women. Still...


No comments: