Prompted by Kirk's recent post, there is a little twist I keep thinking about as I ride to work.
My route to work passes a McDonald's location that has been in operation at least since 1973, a couple doors from the corner of Westport Road at Goose Creek Road. As I pass it, I often see a line of cars in the drive-through lane--as often as not, so many cars in that lane that another car would have to wait in the median on Westport Road to even get into the parking lot, which is also full of cars. I've even had to navigate around a car sitting in the eastbound travel lane as the driver waited for an opportunity to get into that parking lot.
Talk about unhealthy!
I won't sit here and say my food choices are all that great. I'm too fond of a plate of eggs, potatoes fried in a dollop of olive oil (or oyl, if you prefer) and a fist-full of chopped country ham (or a couple sausage patties, depending) as a semi-luxurious breakfast. I understand the appeal of some of the processed cereals Kirk mentions, although I've gotten away from them myself. Barbecued pork is one of my favorite lunch or dinner foods.
But sitting in a car, in a long line with other folks sitting in their cars with all engines idling so that all the occupants get to breathe exhaust fumes, instead of walking inside to a shorter line and faster service, regardless of how good or bad the food is, borders on insanity. It shows how auto-centric our society has become.
Of course, there is also the food quality (to put it loosely) aspect. Our American idea of nutrition is certainly skewed. "Country breakfast" can mean any of several healthy or unhealthy things, depending on whose definition you choose. I mentioned one of my favorite breakfast menus. I've been known to dine on a couple bowls of frozen berries or cherries, dusted with sugar (the amount of sugar has ramped down over the years, but it's still probably more than I should use).
I ride, in part, so that I can burn off some of the excess calories I enjoy consuming.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment