29 November 2009

random musings

About the time I started this blog, I gave some thought to why I'm creating one. What was the point? Who really wanted to read my writings? I eventually settled on it being something of an on-line diary, and at least in part a way to hold myself accountable for riding to work more often than not.

Imagine, then, my mild surprise when, on my way to work a day or two ago, I had to really think about the last time I had driven to work to remember the date. I had to look at a calendar to decide on November 10th, remembering that I had driven so that I'd have a way to haul stuff for the aborted Tool School class we were to begin that evening (by the way, we are scheduling at least two sessions for January and February--keep an eye on our site, or drop me a line and I'll add you to the notification list).

Since the boss was out of town visiting family over the holiday, I was the store staff on Black Friday. Not much happened, aside from my continuing work cleaning up the electronic inventory and preparing for annual inventory to happen the end of next month. Jenn called at some point, suggesting that she come by near closing time and that we go out to eat, then both go home in the truck, so while I rode the bike to work, I rode the truck home.

Saturday was another slow day in retail, as most of the folks doing shopping on Thanksgiving weekend do so at malls (or mauls, if you prefer, given the events at Toys R Us stores near Indianapolis...). Still, a customer came in to pick up her new bike we ordered for her earlier in the week, and that's always a high point!

After the store closed for the day, I rode my bike to my folks' house to help them with their holiday tree and a few other odds and ends. Jenn met me there, and I again put my bike in the back of the truck for the trip home.

Despite hauling my bike home twice this week, I rode to work every work day since the 10th. Not exactly car-free, but I'm still getting to ride.

My riding has been marked by discomfort in my quads of late, though, and this is making me wonder what is different. It's been more of a "we're tired and don't want to power you to the degree you want us to work" discomfort than a pain thing. I suppose that part of it is temperature-related--my legs are not wanting to work as well with the lower temps we've had of late. However, I don't remember having that problem last season--at least not to this degree. I will have to keep listening to my legs, and see if they quit their complaining soon. I'll give them a rest day on Wednesday, probably, so they may be fine soon. It may be the position in which I find myself for much of the work day--sitting at the computer at the sales counter, on a stool, is something of an awkward pose, and my legs may be responding to that.

We'll see.

No comments: