13 January 2010

Car-Free Happy Hour fun

Car-Free Happy Hour has apparently grown. I got to attend last night's "incarlessnation," and it was a good time by all accounts.

Of course, I got there by bicycle. I opted for the Raleigh, simply because I could. I pulled the trailer along--empty--again because I could (although I also used the rationalization that it would make me more "un-ignorable" on the trip home). When I arrived, David and Manton were outside, discussing the cool bikes already locked to the railings. David said something along the lines of, "When I saw the trailer, I should have recognized it as yours."

Katie's cargo-bike was already locked to the fence, as was her husband's LHT with its bright blue fenders. There were a couple more bikes of various makes and models, but none that I recognized as belonging to particular people (I'm a bike guy, okay? I can look at many bikes and say, "oh, that's so-and-so's bike.").

David, Manton and I exchanged greetings and entered the Monkey Wrench to meet the rest of the folks. Rick, Allison and Eric were talking together at one end of the group of tables; Amanda, the interim director at Bicycling for Louisville, was there, eventually joined by her husband Justin; Nina, Bryan, Dominic, Kirk, Ron and quite a few others whose names I either didn't catch or cannot remember showed up as well.

Kirk showed up in grand style, as one would expect if one knows Kirk. Eric was talking to me about my Raleigh--he even made a mock offer to buy it from me--and he said something to Rick along the lines of, "You have to see this bike." They went outside to have a look at it, and when they returned to the table, Eric was excited that Kirk had arrived while they were outside.

Kirk, of course, was riding his Pashley Roadster Sovereign--a most elegant commuter rig--and in Kirk style, he was wearing a business suit and tie.

Katie opened the event with a few thank-yous, then introduced the speakers for the gathering. We got to hear about Ticket to Ride, and their van pools, car pools and bike pools (yes, bike pools). Amanda spoke briefly aboutBic ycling for Louisville's goals for the coming year as well. Katie mentioned the Louisville Bicycle Club's upcoming Mayoral Forum, and asked that I say a few words about that event. After all that discussion, folks went to socializing for a while.

As the party wound down, folks drifted off in ones and twos, and several of us stood around in the parking lot oohing and aahing over Kirk's bike and Katie's cargo bike. I got to take Katie's bike for a loop in the lot, and found it to be easy to ride (not that I was expecting it to be a problem). Eventually, we all had to head home, so Kirk, Manton, Dominic and I headed east. The four of us made for a sight cruising along Grinstead Drive, with all the reflective clothing, bright lights, and--"wow, those guys are actually riding bicycles in this weather!"

Kirk and Manton split from my path at Grinstead and Lexington, continuing on Grinstead. Dominic and I went out Lexington Road together, as he lives near me and I had offered him some reflective vinyl from my stash. As we were standing at the light, waiting our turn to turn left on St Matthews Avenue, Manton rode up with a horn-honk greeting, before heading on his way to Middletown.

What a day--I didn't have to drive at all!

As for today, I'm going to work a bit late this morning, as I'm teaching Tool School tonight. It's warm enough that I get to ride to work, so I'm riding the Vanguard.

No comments: