It was almost a foregone conclusion, but I always allow for surprises. I was unopposed running for the VP Education slot again this year. It's always possible that someone would nominate from the floor in one of these elections, but the VP Education post is pretty low on the scale of likelihood for that to happen.
In any case, now I can set to my plans for the upcoming season in earnest. I have a lot I want to do, including re-working the education program from top to bottom, to closely follow the LAB TS101 course outline and have the certificate hold the same value. Folks who earn this certificate may go on to earn their own League Cycling Instructor license at a later date.
Indeed, I have at least one assistant instructor who is eager to earn his LCI. He'd been working with me over the summer, and when I asked him about helping teach another session at another location, his only reluctance was that he didn't have the formal training to be the teacher. I'm working on that, too, but in the mean time, I surprised him by naming him my Volunteer of the Year in the Education Program at last night's club banquet.
The only changes in the officer listings were to President, Vice President for Racing and Vice President for Advocacy. Laura stepped up to join the Executive Committee as VP Advocacy, and Andy, the prior VP Advocacy has stepped up to the President's position, allowing Earl to step down after eleven or twelve years in charge. Mark stepped down from the VP Racing post, and Travis has taken his place. I look forward to working with these folks this coming year--I know all of them well enough to expect good things from them.
Amanda Fuller, the interim Executive Director of Bicycling for Louisville, came to the soiree with her husband. Both were a bit blown away by the size of the gathering and the amount of stuff happening in our club. We also had a member who lives in Alabama (but who is in town quite often and used to live here) join us, so that she could compare our meeting to her club in Alabama. She expressed surprise at how many people were there, and what sort of craziness happens at our annual business meeting.
In other news, my first Tool School class of the season is going well. I have seven excellent students this time around, and all are learning about as fast as I can teach them. They ask good questions, and absorb information quickly. They've had fun getting their hands dirty working on their bikes, too, including replacing brake cables, removing and re-installing their cranks and bottom brackets, truing wheels and adjusting bearings. They get to learn about adjusting derailleurs on the last night of the school this coming Wednesday, and they are excited about it.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment