As I type this, it's raining. I really dislike riding in the rain. I'm debating driving to work, knowing that doing so will spoil a streak of riding that has lasted since late March.
If my ride to work was more like five miles, I'd probably go ahead and ride. That it's an hour of getting soggier by the minute takes much of the fun out of cycling to work.
Part of the problem is that my rain gear, such as it is, gets hot fast. I'd be as wet from sweating as from rain--although a bit less muddy.
And when I looked for my rain cape yesterday, I couldn't find it.
The cape I have is fair for light rain and short rides, but is far from waterproof (unlike the claims made on the web site where I bought the thing).
I may see if I can find it, though, and ride the Raleigh.
edit added: After typing the above, I realized that I was in a foul moment, and could get out of that mood by riding to work, despite my usual aversion to riding in the rain.
I also figured out where the cape was hiding.
Yeah, it was a wet ride, and I couldn't figure out why it felt like I was riding into a headwind (aside from the usual additional drag attributable to the cape). Motorists weren't any nicer or uglier than usual, although I didn't get quite as many out-the-window comments as on some rides (I figure the twits who would yell out their windows had them closed due to the rain).
Oddly, the bottom bracket on the Raleigh felt loose once I got about a third of the way to work. I didn't feel anything in my ABC Quick Check, although I admit to having rushed through that a bit. When I got to the store, well before opening time, I tossed the bike in a repair stand long enough to tighten the bearings a bit, and it feels much better now. I also hammered in that pesky right wedge pin again--I don't know why this bike is giving me more wedge pin trouble than any other such crank I've fixed in the last thirty years, unless it's a matter of no longer being able to get decent pins.
Anyway, I may leave work early this afternoon if I can. A friend has an art show opening tonight, and it would be good to see the paintings.
And I'm in a better mood, having continued my list of days not driving to work.
Just to keep from driving (myself nuts).
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
2 comments:
I hope you rode today. I did. I do find it harder to motivate myself when it is raining, but once on the bike I have a good time.
Yep, I rode. Didn't get as wet as I figured I would, but still wetter than I like to get on a bike ride. Oh, well, I kept my powder dry...
Post a Comment