In this post, he explains Vehicular Cycling in ways I had not considered. Prompted by this, I pondered my own outlook on VC, as I certainly consider myself a Vehicular Cyclist.
He has a lot of valid points. More or less separate infrastructure for cycling, even to the exclusion of cars from certain urban areas, would be wonderful. I would love to see bike lanes like those in Copenhagen in Louisville--all over the place, used all the time, cleared of snow before the main roadways, and all that.
I'm pragmatic enough to know that just about any philosophical position will have inherent compromises, though. VC is no different, to me, as there is a severe lack of political will to create the infrastructure like that in Copenhagen, let alone the dollars to do so. There is, in many places, a severe lack of room to emulate the Danish model. We are a young country by European standards, and much of our cityscape has been fashioned in the post-World-War-II era, with the assumption that if you were
In the comments attached to Mikael's post, Anna opined, in part:
My opinion on this is different, because I can partially understand this behavior. It is not that "vehicular cyclists" are against bicycle infrastructure (although they might not know that themselves), but they are against crappy bicycle infrastructure.I could not agree more. "Crappy bicycle infrastructure" is far worse than nothing, in many ways. Creating it, municipalities say, in effect, "Cyclists are inferior/second-class road users, so we leave them with inferior lanes so as to discourage them from using the roadways. Let the trash/debris/detritus from the
An anonymous respondent typed, "This is a strawman depiction of Vehicular Cycling." To some degree, I agree. Another opinion was that realists like Anna, whom I quoted above, are quite different than hard-core Vehicular Cyclists who decry ANY bicycle-specific infrastructure.
Yeah, I've heard that one before, too. I went through a brief phase of that myself, some years ago. I quickly figured out, though, that Multi-Use Paths (MUP) have their place in giving folks a place to ride as leisure riders, or semi-neophyte riders, or those of us who have the skill set and the confidence to ride on the roads but who want a low-stress alternative for a different style of ride, or whatever.
Since I'm all about getting folks on bikes, I figure that having a place for those with less of a chip on their shoulders than I to ride is a good thing.
Just don't tell me I have to ride there to the exclusion of roads that take me where I want to go.
4 comments:
The single attribute I despise about VCers is the tendency to disparage and organize against bike infrastructure. I ride everywhere, I take the lane when needed, I watch for intersections and right hooks and the car noses sticking out who might kill me. But the fifth column of VCers who agitate against infrastructure means I don't claim to be one.
MUP hate is one I particularly find stupid. In the mind of VCers all MUPs are the same and poorly designed death traps. Yet I ride the West Samammish River Trail for 6 miles on my morning commute. There are no intersections, there are ramps up to the overpasses so I can exit or enter the SRT easily. It crosses two highways that otherwise would involve quite a bit of detours for me. It is a bike highway. The Springwater River trail in Portland has similar attributes, and both were built with Federal money and so are not able to be closed like a park.
In no way are these linear parks as so many VCers claim, these trails are highways. Yes, they have traffic during the daylight hours where people roller blade, walk, etc. But cars deal with traffic too, I ride as the traffic conditions dictate.
Bike lanes get the same mixed hate from VCers, so do bike boxes. Yet many of them are very useful and at the very least a road with a bike lane will be wider.
Additionally as Portland has already shown, when bike infrastructure gets used it also gets improved over time. It is foolish to expect infrastructure to be perfect initially. Yet if it is popular and used, it will get improved as the situations dictate. Shutting it down before it can even get started is annoying. As a popular lotto ad once said "You have to be in it to win it".
So since most noticeable attribute of VCers is their hatred and agitating against bike infrastructure, I chose to not be associated with them.
I read the Copenhagize VC post and re-considered our own burg here. There are so many issues at hand. I live inside of the Watterson and never, ever need infrastructure to get around. I used low-traffic and low-speed streets, and even something like Bardstown Rd. doesn't bother me b/c the speeds are moderate. I know you actively use the roadways outside the Watterson, but you, much like the commentary on VCs, are an exception. I have years experience and I rarely use those roads unless I have to. Can you really expect cycling to grow in the vast suburban landscape without alteration to provide for bike usage? I do agree with the "bad bike infrastructure" comment as well. Our own crappy, trash-filled bike lanes attest to that. But are those initial efforts "baby steps" to further, more effective efforts in the future? Portland and Minneapolis, or Barcelona where I was in June, have thrown the Forester model out. Are there more or fewer cyclists in those places now? Are they happy cyclists there now? It's complicated, isn't it? Happy riding!
Post a Comment