Change sometimes prompts us to ruminate on things. With the changes recent and upcoming, I've been thinking about all sorts of things. Some more time-sensitive, like my own preparation for last weekend's bike move, and others less urgent. Some more big-picture, some less so.
This blog pops into my mind from time to time when I'm doing such reflecting. I think about some of the blogs I read, and their purposes and purposefulness. Some bloggers keep a very tight focus on one facet of their lives, and write about that focus in a way that attempts to be accessible to lots of people. I admire their discipline in maintaining such focus. I sometimes wish I had such discipline. I occasionally consider such folks to be over-achievers.
Then I remember the concept that we look at others' personae and only see the good stuff. We don't see the behind the scenes frailties and foibles. We think about our own perceived shortcomings in that light, and consider ourselves less valid somehow.
My own purpose for this blog has varied a bit over the three years or so since I started keeping it. At first, I wasn't even sure what I wanted to do with it. It became a diary of sorts, in part to help me keep myself accountable in my goal of riding to work more and more. I added little bits of celebration or at least recognizing little mile markers along the way--the first ride to work of the season in short sleeves, or short pants, or the first ride to work in sub-freezing temperatures (something I didn't even think to make note of this last season, as my utility riding has become more of a given for me).
It's been more public about seemingly private stuff at times. I've managed to hold back on other things that didn't really need to be said, but that I needed to put into words in order to help myself figure out where I was on those issues. In other words, I've found myself using this blog as a metaphorical mirror for my thoughts, helping clarify them for myself and being open to other folks acting as sounding boards (and have even gotten some helpful feedback at times).
So, yes, this blog is serving an assortment of purposes for me. I get to share blogs I've found and comment on posts and comments from those blogs. I get to clarify my own thoughts on things. I keep track of little things I want to remember, and my thoughts on those points, and revisit my typed-out thought-dumps once in a while. I get to read thoughts of a few others as they respond to points I make.
It's sort of like having friends might be, if I got to sit and chat with the several of you more often.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment