12 April 2013

Summit-reaching

So, against some of my better judgement, and in the hopes of learning something worth the time and energy, I attended this summit thing in Frankfort KY over the last couple of days.

Among the highlights (without specifying positive or negative): There were two "breakout sessions" by John LaPonte, who was at one time the chief transportation engineer for the City of Chicago (actually three, but I attended two); one on pedestrian issues and another regarding on-road bicycling facilities (in which he showed himself a proponent of majik paint, albeit in somewhat less frothing at the mouth degree than, say, Anne Lusk).

There was a presentation by Andy Clarke, of the LAB, during the plenary portion of the proceedings (I managed to not throw any rotted fruit). There was also a breakout session by him on sustaining and advocacy organization (his apparent strong suit, although advocacy for what remains a point for another discussion).

Among several semi-related factoids brought to my attention: There is an LCI Seminar in Lexington, KY next weekend, the Coach for which is the same guy who was the Coach for the LCI seminar in Lexington two years ago when my wife got her "ticket." His pre-class managements skills have not, apparently, improved. Similarly, the pre-test from the League remains poorly-constructed at best (as if I would be surprised at this). Bill, who was my source for much of the low-down on the LCI seminar, introduced himself to me with the comment that he had been warned about me as an LCI. It was of no surprise to me that some of the folks who were in Jenn's LCI seminar were in attendance, and one of them had been in the small group I had managed as an assistant coach. She appreciated that I held her to task over stuff that matters to me as an LCI, using the expression "tough but fair."

As is common for me, I also encountered a few folks I've known casually over the years but had little or no expectation of seeing there. On this list, I include Chris, who writes From the Pavement's Edge, a blog I've been reading for a while.

I met a few folks new to me, of course, including a couple of members of the Kentucky Bike and Bikeways Committee, a couple folks involved in community bike shops, and a few educator-types (including the folks who reported the LCI Seminar snafus). I expect I'll develop some new friendships and working relationships as a result.

Another result was that I had little time to get on a bike yesterday, and don't expect to go out on it today. I did get some walking in yesterday, getting to and from the dinner site, having left the car at the hotel where the rest of the summit was being held.

No comments: