13 September 2013

Cycling (and cyclists) in the news

There has been a veritable flurry of bicycle-related news on the local front over the last week or so.

Sadly, one large bit of news came to us from the family of Joe Ward, as he passed away Thursday morning. Much has been and will be written of Joe, his gracious riding manners, his depth of cycling and local knowledge, his two books (I have autographed copies of each, and am mentioned in the foreword to the second one), and his sartorial style (he was one man I've seen make the corduroy knickers actually work!). As much as I would like to think otherwise, I don't have much to add to that commentary, aside from that I will miss him. He was a great guy.

The comment mill (actually, a different comment mill) got cranked up over a recent article in the CeeJ regarding the MUTCD R4-11 signs that have gone up on River Road.






Predictably, there were some who sided with Council Member Kelly Downard, who fails miserably at understanding the traffic laws applicable to the commentary he provided. I participated in the online melee, attempting to give rational basis for the positions I took.

A day or two later, a couple of letters to the Editor appeared, one even citing some sort-of relevant Kentucky Revised Statutes in favor of his apparent position that cyclists should stay to one side of the road. No, I couldn't resist the call to comment on those, either.

As a side note, here is an essay that helps one understand some of the irony in the anti-cyclists' position. In a nutshell, it details how cyclists' rights have been eroded over the last hundred years, and why that matters.

No comments: