I am not generally one to "cry wolf." I don't like hyperbole, as a rule.
I don't think I'm overblowing the potential significance, here, though.
First, a little background: A woman I encountered through the magic of that book of faces social site was cited not once, but three times over the last several months. Her offense? Driving her bicycle in a manner that shows awareness of safe traffic movement. She was using the right lane on US27 between Nicholasville, Kentucky and Lexington, Kentucky, as she rode to work and back.
Apparently a lot of motorists took umbrage at the gall of a mere cyclist who would use the road as a vehicle operator, and called the police in effort to have her removed from their exclusive domain of fast motoring.
A week or two ago, the Jessamine County Attorney filed to gain an injunction against this cyclist, in effect forcing her to NOT drive her bicycle to work.
As a side note, not that it matters a whit to the situation at hand: Cherokee Schill, the cyclist in question, has a car, but it's old and unreliable. She had some sort of problem maintaining her license in some other state, and is temporarily ineligible to carry a driver's license in Kentucky. As I said, this doesn't change things at all--she still has to get to work to support herself and her two teenagers.
Last week, the judge who was asked for the injunction turned down the request, which was a small victory for Ms Schill--she can still drive her bicycle to work on US27. There remains a trial over the citations, coming in August.
This trial has potential for real consequences affecting cyclists in Kentucky (and perhaps elsewhere). Under the collection of Statutes in KRS 189, a cyclist has the right to a full lane as a vehicle operator. If Jessamine County's charge against Ms Schill succeeds, we could lose a lot of that right.
If she wins, cyclists in Kentucky get another jurist's support. We need that support.
There is a legal defense fund. Please donate. Your right to ride on public roads may be affected by the outcome, so donate accordingly.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment