I used to work in a sign store, and collected some scraps of reflective vinyl when there. I went back there and bought some more, in different colors, and received a big piece that had been mis-cut for one of their projects as well. I have a LOT of reflective vinyl.
I also have some scraps of various substrates, like Alumicor and DiBond, each basically two thin sheets of aluminum on either side of a sheet of corrugated plastic or sheet plastic, respectively. I can cut this stuff to whatever size and shape I desire with a fine-tooth saw (or even a circular saw), file the edges, drill mounting holes, apply the vinyl and presto! I have custom reflectors!
The vinyl adheres to my fenders as well, as you can see in the above picture.
Mindful that some of my grocery shopping will, of necessity, be done after dark, I outfitted my little trailer with a panel as well. For this one, I used some Alumicor, and removed enough from the unseen side to allow me to install a pair of Planet Bike Superflash taillights. These dudes are BRIGHT. Anyone coming up behind me has no excuse whatsoever for saying he or she didn't see me.
Soon after this picture was taken, I picked up a piece of 1/4" threaded rod to complete the flag pole. When I bought the trailer, the lower portion of the pole was missing, and threaded rod--available in the hardware store a couple blocks away from the house, was just the ticket. The flag pole has a bit of reflective tape on it as well. I have to chuckle about the brand name on this trailer, though. I consider it far from the safest kid trailer on the market (I used to sell Yakima's kid trailers, among other brands), but as I don't have small children and am using it for cargo instead, I'm fine with what it is. I only paid $50 for it, and have enjoyed having it already.
And, of course, there is my helmet, mentioned in a post a few days ago. Some time in the next few evenings, I'll get pictures of all this stuff in low light--partially to see how I'm doing on the "be seen" scale.
I know I need to add some stuff to my wife's bike, too. She rides to work often, and is wearing an Illuminite jacket I've had for several years, in addition to her own blinky lights front and rear, a few reflectors I made for her bike, strips of reflective vinyl on her pedals, her pair of traffic officer gloves, and the like.
"Traffic Officer Gloves." A friend calls them "Tom Armstrong gloves." I started seeing traffic control officers wearing these several years ago and thought them a neat idea. Most police uniform dealers can get them for you if they don't have them in stock--I've bought mine at the place on Second Street just south of Breckinridge Street in the Old Louisville area (sort-of across Second from the Kroger). Here's a shot of them, taken from the Chief Supply site:
I like these for several reasons: I can wear them any time of year, they make most folks' hands look HUGE and easy to see, they fit over most gloves (even some of mine, and I have big hands), and the red triangle on the palm automatically becomes a brake light when one is making a slowing signal to other road users. I can turn my hands in such a way as to make the reflective "flash" as a turn signal would as well, hopefully getting a following motorist's attention more readily.
My younger stepdaughter made a derogatory comment about them recently, but she's nineteen and likes to talk disparagingly about stuff that isn't her favorite. Her older sister thinks it's cool that her mom and stepfather ride for utility, and that we teach following traffic law as well as follow it ourselves. She's been known to call out folks she knows who are riding in ninja mode or on the sidewalks--both things that are horribly hazardous to all around.
No comments:
Post a Comment