08 December 2009

New week, new challenges

Yesterday morning, I awoke to the sound of my cell phone ringing. It was my sister, asking how I dealt with snow when riding my bike--did I use chains or studded tires? As my alertness level adjusted, it occurred to me to answer her that I could, indeed, get studded snow tires for my bike (thinking of my Ryan, of course).

As it turned out, though, the snow accumulation was limited to grassy areas--the streets were merely damp. I rode to work, despite my mild head cold.

Yep, I also discovered that I had a head cold yesterday morning. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be a bad one, and generous application of Zicam probably helped. I felt much better when I got up this morning.

When I got home from work Monday, Jenn was working at her new laptop, getting it configured for use. She has a router that supports wireless device use in the house, but that function was not switched on. In the process of reconfiguring the router, something went awry, and now we have no internet service at the house.

I spent an hour or so playing telephone games with our ISP before running up against a time limit (had to get to work), with nothing accomplished other than exacerbating the DSL disconnect. I'm typing this during a break at work. As I told Jenn, some time when I have a spare hour or three (or five) to kill, I will get back on that project. She won't have time until at least Wednesday evening, so I may do it tomorrow. Such adventures always try my patience.

I realized this morning that with all the activity over the weekend, I managed to forget getting to the library to pick up the book they had waiting for me. As it's now been five days or more, and I haven't thought to call them to ask that they hold on to it for another couple days, I'm sure it's been sent back into circulation. If it's the book I have in mind, it's already happened once, and I've been waiting to read this one for several months. I just can't bring myself to buy it, as it's only out in hardback at this point. Phooey! On the other hand, it may be a book I had requested for Jenn, in which case I'll simply request it again--I don't think too many folks are waiting for that one.

No comments: