12 June 2011

Where did the weekend go?

I needed to be at a Club Ex-Comm meeting at four yesterday afternoon, so I drove to work. It would have taken me an hour and a half to get there by bike from the store, and I knew better than to think I'd get out of the store before 3:00. I missed a nice riding day.

Today, we had stuff to do around the house. Jenn has a Premier Jewelry Party coming this week, so the house needed to be spruced up a bit. It's not quite done, but we are a lot closer. We hadn't let it get too far away from us this time, which helped. Still, I missed a nice riding day.

Shortly after I got to work yesterday, my mother called me to inform me that my sister was having to have her cat euthanized. Caruso had been with her for thirteen years, and was probably four years old when he came to her. He had one of the more musical purrs I've ever heard from a cat. She is grieving heavily, as she (like yours truly) is very much a cat person. Neither of us has had children--we have had cats instead. I feel bad for her, as I know what heartache it is to lose such a close friend. I wrote on this blog in April of 2009 about losing my cat Aloysius Ebenezer Qat, Esquire, and what a friend he had been for the thirteen years I had him in my life.

We know our cats won't outlive us, but we get another, anyway. They bring us joy and entertainment in many ways. We miss them when they go, and somehow we never forget any of them. I've had some wonderful feline friendships over the years, and still think about each of them from time to time.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Just read about your sis's kitty. I have a cat that is +or- 21 y.o. Every time I can't find her, I freak a bit. But she's a bit deaf and doesn't hear me call. Tell sis I'm sorry to hear the bad news.

bikeolounger said...

Thank you, Susan! I'll relay the kind words!