Four thousand two-point-something miles. That's how far I've
ridden my bicycles in lieu of driving so far this year.
I've put 4469 miles on bikes this year, according to the records
on mycyclinglog,com. I sometimes wonder about that number, as the
odometer on my Globe shows a few more miles than the log shows--about
a hundred miles, in fact. Since I don't know whether that mileage is
due to errant calibrations or forgotten postings, or something else
entirely, I don't know what to do with that information. I finally
figured out why the tandem odometer wasn't agreeing with others, and
got that fixed (I think). I may take it out for a short spin Friday
morning to verify calibration before riding RAIN this weekend.
Yes, Jenn and I are riding RAIN
this Saturday. It will be our second as a tandem team, and my
third on a tandem. It will be my first on this tandem, but this
tandem's second RAIN (our friends Nita and Larry used it last year,
before Jenn and I bought it from Nita). It's the second tandem I've
ridden on RAIN. Since a tandem bike has two riders, I thought it
would be fun to recognize all the twos in this--let me know if any
more twos come to mind...
Anyway, we figure on setting another team best. Last year's
average speed was a touch over sixteen miles an hour while rolling,
with an overall elapsed time a touch over twelve hours. We took a
couple of very long breaks--especially at lunch, when I was fighting
hot spots in my feet. This year, both of us have been riding more on
a daily (or at least weekly) basis, and we haven't had to fight the
stressors of moving two weeks before the event or being on the road
for two weeks for Race Across America shortly before that or the
whole closing on the house thing fourteen hours before leaving for
RAAM before that.
To mention another "two," this weekend will also be my
second wedding anniversary. I haven't mentioned it lately, but I am
still going on an unbroken string of days being happily married.
Every day sets another record for me. Life is, indeed, good.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment