01 July 2011

Random thoughts on my ride home

As I worked through Crestwood on my way home this evening, a train passed by me, heading in roughly the same direction. For half a mile or so, I was matching its pace. However, it started going faster soon enough, and pulled farther and farther ahead as I pedaled toward Pewee Valley. I never could be sure, but it seemed to have an affect on traffic: For over a mile, there were no cars trying to overtake me on KY146, and rare cars between Pewee Valley and Westport Road, where I could cross the tracks, the train having pulled far enough ahead by then. It was nice to not have any cars behind me for a while, especially on that segment of 146.

I diverted from my normal route to get some beer at a liquor store I used to frequent when I lived in Douglass Hills. That store seems to have seen less profits of late--the selections are fewer than they once were. Still, they have some varieties of beer that are harder to find closer to home, so I selected some Belhaven Scottish Ale and some Fuller's London Porter to stow in my panniers for the trip home. I recently found some Thirsty Dog Twisted Kilt somewhere, and thought it was at that store, but they didn't have any.

Thirsty Dog Brewery makes a fairly decent porter called Old Leghumper, too. It's almost as good at Dark Star Porter from BBC, and about as tasty (but not quite as potent) as Arcadia's London Porter. Yeah, I'm a dark beer guy.

Once home, I went back out to get something that was already chilled, as there was little of interest in the 'fridge aside from a Woodchuck 802 Cider that I was leaving for Jenn. If you like a dry cider, the 802 is quite yummy.

I rode the Globe today, just because I could. Big number for the day is 4306 YTD, with 3840 CO2 miles YTD.

No comments: