23 December 2011

I DOOD IT!!

A couple weeks ago, I was wondering whether I would reach the 8000-mile goal I had set. I don't expect to ride much next week, as I will be visiting family in other cities.

However, as I rode to work today, I reached my 8000-mile goal for the year. Without planning ahead for it, I figure I reached the goal on Rollington Road, the descent on which is one of my favorite parts of my morning commute. The title for today's entry also notes that I remember Red Skelton appearing on television some time in my childhood, using his catchphrase. I may not know much of what has been on television over the last twenty years, but I still have bits and pieces of memories about broadcasts from decades ago.

I suppose the actual figure is off that by a mile or two (or ten...), due to various possible errors, but I've tried to reduce errors where I reasonably could. I hope that any variances even out--there were probably a few miles I didn't record, and maybe a tenth here and there that got over-recorded.

While much of what I've put in this blog over the last year has been crowing about the numbers, making this a numbers-chasing year, I haven't felt like I was chasing numbers to the point of it being tiresome for me. I haven't burned out on it--yet. A friend made the comment a couple weeks ago that focusing on the numbers could lead to burnout on biking. My countering strategy has been to bike whenever I could do so instead of driving, and enjoy how the numbers piled up instead of riding to get the numbers, if that makes sense.

A number I hadn't considered until a day or two ago was the quantity of miles commuting. I've tagged my rides as being for commuting (getting to and from work, with some small side trips that were more-or-less on the way), counting toward the CO2 total (riding for utility, including getting to work and errand trips), club, errands, and so on. The online log keeps track of these rides by tag separately and cumulatively, and gives me the breakdown in the report section. My commuting miles for 2011 YTD total 5566, less than two hundred miles shy of my 2010 total. Had I been focusing on this number all year, I might have been able to invert that difference if only by a few miles. Wow.

I don't know that I'll get as many miles next year. My riding patterns will differ somewhat, in that I won't be doing the New Rider Clinics as often (if at all). I may get to do more club rides, which could offset the Clinic riding. It's too soon to say.

No comments: