15 December 2011

It all seems so anti-climactic somehow

After crushing my earlier 6000-mile goal for this year some time in September, every single mile I've ridden has set a personal record of some sort. My CO2 mileage topped my 2010 total mileage early in October. It's almost become ludicrous, in a way. On the other hand, plans are afoot that may keep me off the bicycle for a few days near the end of the year, and that 8000-mile goal is *right there.* I only need to log two hundred miles to reach it.

My total bike miles for 2011 stands at a fraction of a mile shy of 7800 as I type this. Part of me wanted to go back out and ride that fraction of a mile, but I figure I'll go on an errand of some sort today and get that number--or not. I know I'll get that partial mile on my way to work Friday, if nothing else happens.

My CO2 miles, that I also refer to as "riding instead of driving" miles, now total over 7060 for the year. This, to me, is the larger news. I know several folks who have far more bicycle miles for 2011 than I have. I don't know many who have so many miles and have fewer miles on their cars.

A friend cautioned me recently to not focus too hard on a numeric goal, that I would lose out on why I ride. I recognize that danger, and will probably not focus on numbers as much next year (or I may--who knows?). I often tell customers at the bike shop that having a cyclometer (aka: cycle computer, odometer, et al) helps them quantify the fun they are having on their bikes. This has been a year of quantifying the fun for myself. I'm not burned out on it, yet, either, surprisingly. I don't know what sort of tracking I'm going to do next year, or if I'll track just to see what happens instead of aiming for some goal. On rereading some of my posts from early this year, I think my focus was on bettering prior successes rather than on the final number of miles. When I amended my annual goal to 8000, I remember having the sense that I was roughly three-quarters through the year reaching the 6000 mark, and thinking that 8000 would not be a big problem. Goals are set to be exceeded, after all. Exceeding the goal makes us feel superior to something, I suppose.

Little bits and pieces time:

A woman was in the other day asking about power meters for her husband's winter training program, and when I told her that the power meter would connect to his computer so he could track the efficacy of his training regimen, she rolled her eyes in an "I know--he's so engrossed with data" expression, half wondering whether she really should enable him by getting him the gizmo he thought he wanted. She WAS glad to know that the PowerTap hub was not specific to trainer use, and that many riders keep them on the bike year-round (except for events). I've been obsessed with enough numbers this year--I don't need to do power graphs for utility miles, nor pore over the data to see whether I should have eaten that pulled pork sandwich the other day.

My term as VP Education with the Louisville Bicycle Club is winding down. I have about a month left in office, and aside from a brief presentation or two at the Club banquet in mid-January, not much left to do. I need to decide what I'm going to say and organize it appropriately. I think I have one or two jerseys to get to folks, but most of that is done. I'm not yet sure who my successor will be. I don't know that I'll have a lot of time to help with the 2012 program, although I also don't want to leave it completely. I am examining other avenues to help teach cyclists that won't be such black holes of time in other parts of my life as being a Club officer had become.

The new-to-us car seems to be doing well enough. I drove it to a party we attended Saturday evening (and home), but Jenn has put far more miles on it than I have--not a bit of surprise to that, of course. We got it for her to drive to work when weather and time constraints keep her from riding (and I still rode to work in rain a few times in the last two weeks, including times since we bought the car and I could have driven the truck).

I keep thinking I need to run in my studded tires fairly soon, as in BEFORE I need them to get to work. Maybe I have an excuse to go for a bike ride, now.

No comments: