03 December 2011

It's December, already?!?!?!?

It's time to make plans for the next couple of months, and make those plans known to folks. We will be doing a couple of courses of Tool School, one each in January and February. Typically, I do these on a Monday-Wednesday-Monday-Wednesday evenings sort of thing, or Tuesday-Thursday, etc. It's a four-class course, meeting from 6:30 to 9:00 or 9:30 for the four evenings of choice. I've also done some Saturday or Sunday afternoon classes as part of a series. I need to make the schedule today and tomorrow so that it can be announced early in the week.

Today is also my grandmother's birthday. She is 95. Yes, I said 95. She is my only surviving grandparent, as her husband, my grandfather, died in 2006, a few months short of his own 95th birthday. These are my father's parents--my mother's mother died in 2000 (I think--I'm not sure at the moment). Mom's father died in 1966 or 1967. I am tremendously fortunate to have known three of my four natural grandparents (and my stepfather's mother!). As a child, I knew my great-grandmother (my father's mother's mother) as well. She was 92 when she passed in 1969. There is no telling how long Mom's father would have lived, had he not had his horrible accident in the early 1950s--his burns led to a cascade of complications that kept him in a nursing home from well before I was born until his death, and I never really knew him.

With all this genetic longevity in mind, it makes sense that I remain active as long as I am able. I attribute some of my father's parents' lives to my grandfather's gardening. Until he quit keeping a garden (he was in his late 80s by then), every single visit to their house would involve at least one meal featuring produce grown in his yard. My grandfather walked to work most of the time (he was a Chemistry Professor at William and Mary, and their house was a mile or so from his office). Both of them were active to just about their practical limits--my grandmother still likes to putter around in her yard when she can, despite her failing vision and hearing. It would do me well to make better food choices than I do, but I'm guilty of taking advantage of the convenience of prepackaged imitations of real food too much of the time.

As a side note, I wonder what the long-term effects of prepackaged foods will be with regard to the average life spans of American citizens.

Since the month of November is now over, it's time for some numbers as well: Thursday evening's return to home from work got me over the 7500 mile mark for 2011 YTD (sadly, that was on the first of December, not in November, but that's the way it goes). My ride to work Friday morning got me over the 6800-mile mark for bicycle miles "instead of driving." I rode 500 miles in November, down from November 2010 by sixteen or twenty miles.


There was another post on the kycyclist recently from a fellow who is commuting along my corridor, telling of his near-crash at a left turn lane. I responded to him, of course, encouraging him to look at other places for the left turn that offered better sight lines and such. He had posted back in the summer about riding the sidewalks along Westport Road to stay out of traffic, and I had responded at the time that he would be much safer being part of traffic and taking the lane instead of hugging the fog line.

I'm reminded that each of us has a starting point when it comes to cycling. I did not become what some consider an uber-commuter overnight (I haven't really become an uber-commuter, anyway...). It has taken me a lot of miles over a lot of years to learn what I've learned. My responsibility to the community remains to encourage intelligent cycling, based on not just my own experience, but that of those whose opinions I have learned to respect (including some that significantly differ from my own). Even though I am stepping down as the VP Education for the Louisville Bicycle Club after this term is over (next month), I figure I will still be involved in the local bicycling community as an advocate and educator for a long time to come. I may not do as much of it this coming year--I have things I want to accomplish at home, as mentioned before--but I won't go away completely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the pre-packaged food problem has already hit us. Overall life expectancy isn't really down, but quality of life during the last decade or two is down.

I'm hoping my lifestyle change will prevent that issue for me.

Anonymous said...

... and regarding the cyclist posting on the list, that I also made a suggestion....

Even after some experience you'll have a bad day on any road. That happens in a car too.

I was almost rear-ended on Eastern Parkway a while back.

I was yelled at today THREE times on Westport Rd.

I've ridden both of these roads a fair amount and rarely have issues. I guess some people are scared off too quickly.