I haven't had much to post here recently. The odd pithy comment has wound up on the dreaded facebook, proving that I've gone overboard in my internet activities.
Latest milestone, though, is that I saw my first red-wing blackbird of the season on my way to work this morning.
In other news, I'm now the owner of a Bikes at Work trailer. Ian had a spare, since he closed the SoupBycycle operations a few months ago. I had heard that he was selling a section of it to some other friends (it's the newer modular design, more on that in a moment), so asked him about the rest of it. We worked out a deal, and I've used the trailer to haul his Surly Big Dummy a couple times (part of the deal being some maintenance work on said bike).
I got in touch with the folks at Bikes at Work, and ordered a hitch that would work with my Globe. Why not the Vanguard, as I used it for the bike move in February, you ask? Well, to use a BaW hitch, I had to move my kickstand to a not-kickstand-friendly place. I like having kickstands on utility bikes. I can likely manage heavier loads with the Globe, anyway, due to its lower overall gearing. Disc brakes are also a factor--a couple of factors, honestly, since the rear caliper is located in such a way as to make use of the standard BaW hitch impractical. The Bikes at Work folks were able to make a hitch that mounts to the site where the Globe accepts a proprietary kickstand.
I miss that kickstand, but it's easy enough to switch to using it when I'm not using the trailer. The bike also accepts a conventional kickstand mounted right behind the bottom bracket, and I can leave one there even if I have the rear-mount one on and in use.
For those two of my readers not living in Kentucky, many of the locals around me are caught up in the excitement that UK and UofL are playing each other in the NCAA Semi-Final. Not being a big basketball fan--indeed, as one who is turned-off by all the hoop-la--I have other things to do. As a UofL graduate, I would prefer UofL win, but beyond that, I'm not overly concerned.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment