I decided I wanted a plywood floor/deck for my recently-acquired
Bikes at Work trailer, so I asked my stepfather if he had any scraps in
his workshop that I could use. He had most of a sheet we could rip to
size, so I pulled the empty trailer to work this morning, then stopped
at my mother and stepfather's house to get that plywood.
Having
done that, I had a couple errands in Middletown, so I went that way. I
lived with my folks for a while in 1999, and rode to my job in
Middletown quite often. It felt good to be able to ride those roads
again, although traffic out that way has gotten even more impatient with
the passing years.
On the way home from Middletown, I
decided to pick up some mulch for a yard project Jenn and I had been
discussing. I got three bags at three cubic feet each, partly to see how
far they would go on the project and partially because I figured that
load would give me a feel for how much more I could haul if necessary.
After
using all three bags, I estimated that six more bags would finish this
portion, and felt that I could haul that load easily enough. I went back
to Lowe's on Hurstbourne Parkway and got the additional mulch.
I
suppose I could have used the pickup truck, but I had fun imagining the
thoughts going through motorists' minds when seeing me with my
payload.
Once home, I finished spreading the mulch,
but not before Jenn brought out a bathroom scale so we could estimate
the weight of my trailer load. Each of the two bags we weighed was
roughly thirty pounds of mulch, meaning I'd hauled a hundred eighty
pounds my second trip. I felt like I could have hauled all nine bags at
once, given the fairly flat terrain involved.
I'm going
to have fun with this trailer. I can see myself looking for ways to use
it, now that I have it. I'd better think carefully about whether to get
that Big Dummy...
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment