21 April 2012

I drove to work today.

I keep hearing that other bike shops are bustling along this time of year. The one where I work is not. I'm sure that part of what's causing it is that word is out that the store is for sale and/or closing. Folks don't want to do business with a store that won't be there a month or two from now. A few folks haven't yet gotten the word--indeed, some of the repair traffic is folks who are just now noticing us. There isn't much traffic, though. It's pretty demoralizing.

I have a couple of potential customers lined up to get a handyman business started--have even done some such work recently. I figure that while being self-employed has a number of drawbacks, it is something I'm able to do, I can often get to job sites by bicycle (even if I'm hauling a couple hundred pounds of materials--part of why I got the Bikes at Work trailer!), and, as I found out recently, just being out on a job site can bring business my way (a neighbor of the folks for whom I was building some deck stairs came by to get a rough estimate on a replacement for his current deck).

I was never in good practice at estimating the variety of jobs I anticipate doing, but have done some estimates as part of other work I did (I was a Home Repair Coordinator for New Directions Housing Corporation before I started this blog, and part of my tasking was estimating roof replacement costs). I know what I need to learn, just haven't developed the sense of material costs. It will take time.

I haven't been crowing about mileages this year, figuring that a) I won't be topping last year's numbers this year, and b) it's not really about the numbers as much this year. Still, it's nice to look at my logs, and see that of the 2100 miles I've recorded so far, all but 44 are utility miles. Friday's trip home from work brought the commuting total to 1600 miles.

Bike Month is coming, too. Because I don't know when/if the store will close, it's hard for me to plan for "bike to work day." The celebration day is May 18th this year, and there will be some excitement in Louisville on that day and in the weeks prior. There is a utility cycling contest, in which I can have several relative neophyte commuters join me in logging trips taken by bike instead of by car, with a chance at some cool prizes. Bike month is not about folks like me. I already ride a lot instead of driving--at least by average American person standards. It's about helping folks who are interested but unsure of themselves, or who would like to ride but need help figuring out how to deal with the various challenges in being different than the statistical norm.

We can help.

No comments: