27 April 2012

Dumb Domino's pizza driver

Once in a while, I get reminded that some folks just don't think. Such was the case last night, as Bob and I rode through Crestwood toward Pewee Valley--I on my way home from work, Bob out to spin the pedals for a few minutes before family responsibilities yanked him back into that wonderful maelstrom of being a dad.

We were on KY146, that being the only good way to get from Crestwood to Pewee Valley by bike, unless one wants to go some several miles out of one's way, only to have to cross it at some point, anyway. About half-way between Crestwood and Pewee Valley there is a greenhouse operation. As we passed that greenhouse complex, there was a line of cars behind us--in part because oncoming traffic prevented safe passing by the truck at the front of the line. I could hear an impatient-sounding horn behind the truck, but could not tell how many cars were back there. The truck driver found opportunity to pass, and did so, immediately followed by a white Volkswagen sedan with a Domino's Pizza sign magnetically attached to its roof. The driver of this car was wearing a Domino's uniform shirt, suggesting that he was on duty at the time. He had a couple windows down, and yelled something as he pointed to the side of the road (unintelligible ululations being a favorite form of expression for angry motorists). No big deal, except that he then "jinked" toward us a bit, then got back in the oncoming lane long enough to make the pass a bit more safely.

That "jink," to me, constitutes an active threat, as if to say, "Get off the road or I'll push you off."

I had a chat with a woman who identified herself as the delivery manager for that location. She thanked me for informing her of the incident, and at least made the right noises as far as recognizing that safety of all road users trumped the perceived convenience of a pizza arriving a few seconds earlier. She closed the conversation by saying that no driver from her store would ever harass a cyclist again if she had any say in the matter.

We'll see. Sometimes, strident measures from bosses lead to retaliatory actions by drivers. Of course, she'd hear about any such nonsense, should anyone I know experience problems from a Domino's driver near Crestwood.

I would have threatened boycotting them, but I haven't eaten a Domino's pizza in years. I find them even worse than Papa John's pizza (and John Schnatter is a Mitt Romney fan, making it even more certain I wouldn't patronize his chain). Hopefully, the manager who spoke with me gets it, without having to use such threats.

No comments: