How does one make a small fortune while owning a bike shop?
First, one will need a large fortune.
This has been axiomatic since I first started watching the bike shop "biz" as a teen. It was an old joke then. I've heard it applied to many other types of business as well--horse farms among them.
I mention this because Bluegrass Bicycle is closing. Thursday, May 31, is the last day we will be in the space we've occupied for over four years. Unsold inventory is staged at Red House Bicycle, in Buckner, until such time as it can be sold--potentially at a loss, but hopefully at something that will at least offset the expense of having it so far. I will be ending my involvement with that process Thursday evening, as I must move on to the next phase of my life.
Today was an exceptionally depressing day. All the tools and much of the store fixture stuff was sold to Mike's Hike and Bike in Richmond, as they prepare for opening a second location in London, Kentucky. Mike rued that I live so far from London, as he would love to have someone with my skill set to run his new location, but a three-hour commute each way is beyond what I'm willing to do. I treasure my time at home too much. Part of the reason I stepped down from my activities with the Louisville Bicycle Club was that I want to spend more time with Jenn.
Despite the depressing--nay, heartbreaking--day, good things are on the horizon. I will be doing the self-employed thing soon. My handyman business has potential, if the expressions on friends' faces when they hear of my plans are any indication. I will probably take a few days to get reoriented, do start-up things like get the insurance going, get my name registered, get an ad or two to show up in local print media, and so on. I hope to do at least some of my work-related transportation by bicycle, using my Bikes at Work trailer as necessary to haul tools, equipment, and supplies to job sites.
This, of course, reminds me that I need to do some sort of web site, along with some social media time (like that facebook thing). I haven't explored twitter, and am disinclined to do so, despite its apparent popularity.
I have business cards, which will help. I'll spend some time figuring just what other stuff I need to do to get the word out about what I'm able to do. Word of mouth will be a key component of my business plan--a sign in the first bike shop to employ my services proclaimed that word of mouth can be one's best advertising or one's worst, and that it was up to me to decide which. Several folks seem to trust me based on who I am and how I treat the people around me, which I must say is gratifying. To those of you who feel similarly, thank you. I really appreciate it. It means a great deal to me.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment