I took a day off work today, partly because there was talk of a Bike to Work Day/Week meeting. I missed the meeting if it did happen, as I never got confirmation (to be fair, I could have called the guy...).
I took advantage of the morning to deadhead the long trailer through the bikeway down by Beargrass Creek--the one that links Lexington Road at Grinstead Drive with Spring Street (more precisely, the end of Locust Street...). I wanted to be sure it would go over the bridges on that trail--the transition from pavement to bridge deck is sharp enough a vertical bend that I wasn't sure. Happily, I don't need to modify anything, although I may move the trailer axle back a bit anyway. The trail was, as I expected, given the recent wet weather, silted and slick in places, and I alerted Metro Call to that fact.
In the same phone call, I reminded MetroCall that Louisville Metro Government is responsible for sweeping the so-called bike lanes along Westport Road west of Fenley Avenue. I don't expect much action on this, of course, given prior experience, but weekly calls by all who read this won't hurt--give them a squeaky wheel to grease!
One reason I was reminded to call about junk in the bike lanes was a twenty-pound rock that had apparently fallen from some truck or other and had landed in the bike lane. I stopped to toss it beyond the sidewalk, but not before snapping a picture of it and sending the image to MetroCall. No word on whether they received it...
The whole experience made me wonder--if only very briefly--whether it was time for me to get a smart phone, so that I could use the MetroCall "app" (if that's the right techno terminology...). I've only within the last couple years gotten to the point that I'll use the text message function of the phone I have. I refuse to use its web browsing capability, such as it is, as it's just too darned cumbersome, what with the teeny screen and keyboard, and given that my experiments with Jenn's smart phone haven't been all that pleasant, I largely think smart phones not worth the money. I prefer a nice, big screen at a desk for web browsing, and my hands are large enough that a full-size keyboard is important to me (I'd almost go for an over-sized board. I had a split board for some years, and liked it quite well until it died three years ago).
Anyway, it's Bike Month! A friend resolved to ride every day in April, and reports that keeping up with that promise to himself has helped him ride more. I don't know that I will be able to do a similar challenge for myself this month, given that I will be attending a college graduation in Georgetown Kentucky on the 19th, but I plan to continue riding most of the time instead of driving, just because I can.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment