03 August 2010

Miles-o-matic

According to mycyclinglog.com, on which I've been logging my miles since the first of this year, I'm about seventy miles short of three thousand for the year. That's a bit more than three days of riding to and from work. If I work the rest of the week, including Saturday, it's a cinch that I'll break three thousand for the year by Saturday afternoon.

Wow. That's a lot more than I've done in prior years, although I may have done close to that by this time last year, riding to work in N'Awb'ny as I was at the time (I noted a couple weeks ago, although I didn't mention it here, that I was one year out from having worked as a property manager, and that I'm quite happy that such a position is in my past).

Almost fifteen hundred of that is on the Vanguard. A bit more than six hundred of it is on the Raleigh. Given that those are my two primary utility bikes, that's more than two thousand miles of utility cycling, not counting what utility cycling has been done on other bikes (I've ridden the tandem to work a couple times with Jenn, and I've ridden the Bacchettas to work a couple times each). I've done some club miles on the Raleigh and on the Vanguard, almost entirely within the new rider clinic format, although I've ridden the Raleigh on a couple of club rides just to be different.

At this rate, I'll probably log a bit over five thousand miles this year, and roughly a fifteen hundred of that in "club miles." Surprisingly, I've logged a bit more than a thousand club miles so far this year. I really haven't done much in the way of club riding, what with my work schedule and the various other projects in which I've been immersed this riding season--I usually manage about twenty-five hundred club miles a year.

I've been losing weight. Not much--only twenty or thirty pounds in the last eight months--but some. Even better, I've changed my body composition a bit--trading body fat percentage for muscle mass to some degree. I feel good. The regular commuting and general "not-using-a-car" to do stuff is paying off in how I feel, how I feel about myself, and to a lesser degree in how my wallet feels (the house purchase taking care of any perceived excess money...). I've not done the calorie-counting thing, nor really worried about my dietary intake all that much. The biggest change has been riding more, drinking water instead of tea while at work, and a couple fewer beers a week.

Did I mention that we are fostering a couple of cats? Yep, we have five cats in the house right now. Aside from the occasional hissy fit, it's gone well. There is not a lot of fighting (good thing), and most of the time the family cats and the foster cats ignore each other. All five are affectionate cats in their own ways. The foster cats are here because their human moved to Hawaii, and that state has strict guidelines keeping rabies off their islands. I don't know how well either of these cats would do with the plane ride to Hawaii, so we may be finding a new home or homes for these two cats.

Meow.

No comments: