24 August 2010

Tandem Tweaking

Here I am, two whole days into owning a tandem I've wanted for over fifteen years, and I haven't even ridden it. Much.

Jenn had to work late tonight, so I spent some time sorting out the steering adjustments for the forward cockpit. Larry (who had last ridden the captain's position on this bike) had a very different idea of best position for things. He never got really comfortable with the "gerbil steer" nature of the RANS design.

In the process of sorting the steering, I rode the bike a couple blocks. It's interesting how this bike differs from Bill's bike in subtle ways--this one handles better solo, surprisingly. The Aerospoke rear wheel has a different freehub sound than the Shimano hub on Bill's bike. I was a bit disconcerted to feel the front tire wandering a bit at low speeds--something I've not experienced with Bill's bike--so I'll have to examine that tire for faults and perhaps replace it. I have a spare--bought in preparation for RAIN--so I can try it to see if it's simply a faulty tire (that I can get replaced by Schwalbe should it be defective).

I have computers coming (a matched set), along with taillights. We have enough front "be seen" lights at the store that I can get one from stock. I'm fine with the pedals that are on the bike, although Jenn may opt for double-entry pedals instead of dual-use pedals for the stoker position.

The bike came to us with Mirricle mirrors mounted at each end of the handlebar. I have no real use for these, as I prefer a helmet-mounted mirror, so they will be coming off soon. I don't know whether Jenn will want them mounted on the tops of my seat, as I did with some other Screamers, but that is one option. I will likely get a helmet to dedicate to use with this bike, as is my habit, and that will have a helmet-mounted mirror.

In July, I bought a TerraCycle Fastback piece so that I could carry a two-liter water bladder. I couldn't find my Camelbak bladder before RAIN, so I kept the FastBack for when this bike is mine. My Camelbak bladder is probably in a box in a closet, and is thus inaccessible for the time being, just because there are too many boxes in FRONT of the closet at the moment. I'll dig it out soon enough, I'm sure.

Tomorrow, it will be Jenn's turn to do some adjusting. We'll get her seat in the right place and at the correct angle. We'll adjust the third brake lever to suit her. We'll mount the computers and taillights.

We might even get to ride it more than a block or two.

No comments: