I got to spend a short week totally without a car.
My 1994 Ford Ranger has over 220,000 miles on it. Stuff has worn out. Stuff has rusted to breaking point. I think I did a post on here over a year ago telling how I had dropped it off at a service provider after realizing that a support for one of the rear axle springs had rusted to failure.
Some time last week, I discovered that the rear end of that spring was unattached to the frame of the truck. I took it to the same garage Monday morning and left it with them with instructions that it didn't have to be done that day or the next. I also asked them to inspect the drive shaft, as I suspected failed universal joints and carrier bearing. Sure enough, all three universal joints were worn out, as was the carrier bearing. After having a little sticker shock over the estimate, I approved the work. The next day, I received a call informing me that I could pay an extra $40 to have the truck back the next day, or not pay it and pick it up Friday--it seems a part was not on hand in town and had to be shipped in from out of town.
Of course, I chose to wait another day. I can do without a truck for a day for $40 without much drama, even if I want to haul boxes (as I did Thursday) or rims (as I did Friday).
In the course of the week, it occured to me that I was REALLY car-free for a few days. I didn't have the option of the fallback position of driving if I was late to work, or whatever. It was neat to think that I'm in a much better place to deal with that than many folks in town who would have to rent a car to deal with their auto-addiction.
I don't pretend to be car-free. I still have uses for my truck, and am not ready to get rid of it. I'll keep it--or one like it--as long as I feel justified in maintaining the thing (and price for the work done this week is a factor I had to justify), as it enables me to do things I want to do, like haul a kayak to the river or the lake, haul the tandem to a bike ride that's farther away than I want to ride, haul material for home projects in one trip rather than buy a Bikes at Work trailer and need to make two or more trips, and so on.
It's also nice to have the truck when the roads are too crappy for me to enjoy my ride to work, as I'm sure will be the case some time in the next six months or so.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment