07 October 2010

It's ROADWORTHY!! Jenn's bike update project, part II

In June of 2010, I presented Jenn with her birthday present: Her own Ryan Vanguard. A week or so later, I had accessorized it so that she could show it off during a "show off your ride" day at work. It looked like this until recently:


With the new parts installed, it looks like this:




In the second picture, the bits of reflective vinyl I put on the handlebar to make the bike a bit more visible show up a bit more. The reflective stripe on the tire shows well, too. You can get a sense of the reflectivity of the back rim, but it is overshadowed, if you will, by the reflective sidewall stripe on the tire. The rack trunk is mounted above the rack instead of right down on it to facilitate easier pannier installation and removal.

Part of the component selection included that the Apex parts are black. The brakes I chose are dark grey enough that they look almost black at a glance. I had to replace the fork, as noted before, to allow using linear-pull brakes at the front wheel. The caliper brakes that were on the bike originally were what a friend and I refer to as vacuum brakes. Yes, they suck.

The hardware issues I mentioned in a prior post were easy enough to resolve, once I focused on them. One fender strut was rattling against a rack stay, so I adjusted its angle a bit to separate them more. The screw holding that rack stay to the frame had loosened a bit as well, so it now has some threadlocking compound on its threads (as does its companion on the other side) to keep such from being an issue going forward. I raised the rack trunk a bit more from the rack, as the panniers were getting hard to mount and remove.

It's little tweaks like this that make a bike far more enjoyable--one doesn't have to worry about things falling off, and can thus focus more on keeping the bike upright and in the right part of the road. The bike rides well now. Jenn is happy with her birthday present.

No comments: