04 August 2011

More light conversation

I've been doing some reading on dynohubs recently, as I got ready to select the hub and light I bought for the Vienna. One thing I was pleased to learn is that the DynoHub on the Raleigh will power any of the modern lights--indeed, it will supposedly power the headlight/taillight combinations from Supernova and others.

I don't really see myself using the Raleigh for as much night riding as I once did, especially now that I have a really, really nice headlight on the Globe Vienna, so my old idea of rigging a converter and voltage regulator to the output from the DynoHub and powering headlight batteries now seems far too complicated. All I have to do is mount an off-the-shelf headlight that has a standlight capacitor (as does my Supernova E3), and I'm set. The E3 has an internal voltage regulator, so it accepts the output from the Raleigh's hub without complaint (or so I'm told). Maybe I'll find out some day. In the mean time, it has my state-of-the-art-circa 1995 VistaLite lead-gel battery with two halogen lights set, that got me through a season of commuting from my folks' house near Long Run Park to my then-new job at some bike shop in Middletown...

Here's how the bike looks now:

It looks a little busy up front with three headlights, but I can't bring myself to remove the stock lamp fixture. If I had the right bulbs for it and the stock taillight, they would probably work. I checked the hub several months ago with a volt meter, and got a nice, steady signal from it.

No comments: