02 November 2011

The velomobile fascination continues--and worsens

Yeah, it's getting worse, this desire for a velomobile. I spent some time digging around online, and found this page within this site, which includes this image of the cockpit of a Flevobike Alleweder of some generation or other:



I found it an illuminating image, as it answered some of my questions about cockpit layout. I've read that this model can be a bit snug between the wheel wells, especially for folks with heavy legs. I've been concerned about shoulder and arm room as well. The FAW+ that comes from Texas is based on this model, so the image has even more meaning for me.

Some months ago, I learned that there was a kit of the FAW+ being built in Louisville. I tried contacting the owner, but without success. A few weeks ago, I saw a post from him on Facebook, and made contact. We've had some correspondence, and I hope to try out his machine when it's road-worthy.

The current hurdle he's trying to overcome is that the tie rods for his steering system are too short. The trike is in a local bicycle shop awaiting the parts and final drivetrain and steering adjustments. When I heard through the grapevine that it was still there, I decided to stop by and see if another set of eyes could find something that would help. Since I was there, I took the liberty of gently getting into the thing to see how I fit.

The owner's legs are a bit shorter than mine, surprisingly enough, so my knees would strike the underside of the double bump in the picture. I don't think that's going to be a problem, though, as my own seat would be back a bit.

I find that with my arms within the body, I might feel a bit cramped. I might not, though, if my legs are good. I wouldn't need the fabric canopy all the time, anyway.

Oh, by the way: As I rode home from work Tuesday evening, I took a slight detour so that I could stop at ValuMarket on Whittington Parkway. As I left that store and headed home, I broke the seven thousand mile mark for 2011.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would a LWB 'bent with fairing and bodysock give you most of the benefits of a velombile? It would be much cheaper.