After the annual weekend of gluttony (I managed to not be terribly gluttonous), it's back to the real world. The news still has images and stories of the Occupy movement, and how other movements are identifying with OWS by simply saying, "Occupy this," or "Occupy that."
Small wonder that a blog I watch, by Mighk Wilson, has a post titled, "Occupy the Lane." Blog readers and cycling education folks know Mighk's name as part of Commute Orlando, part of Cycling Savvy, and general pro-cycling good guy. I encourage you to have a read--Mighk is more eloquent than I on this topic.
I'm also a fan of Copenhagenize, as both of my long-time readers are aware. One recent post there quotes a brief essay discussing the amount of exercise we get and really should get. I'll have to send my mom a link to this next time she challenges my choice to bike to work "when I could get there in much less time by driving."
Even when it rains, as it is doing today (and probably tomorrow), I do better for myself by riding than by driving. Even if I ignore the financial benefits of riding instead of buying gas, I am doing better for myself. Selfish? Maybe. Enjoying life is part of the "American Dream," though, right?
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment