22 May 2009

property inspections and riding extra work routes

I was out of sorts over not riding to work of late, especially with the nice weather we've had. I finagled a way to ride on Friday of last week, and found ways to ride a few days this week as well.

I drove on Monday and Tuesday, as my 8:00 stop is way out of the way on my usual commute. Tuesday morning, I was reminded that I was to attend a conference at the Galt House that day, Wednesday and Thursday. I drove to the conference on Tuesday, but during the long lunch break found a place I could stow my bike for Wednesday's sessions. I was thus able to ride to work Wednesday--in a kilt no less--on my Raleigh (the place where I locked my bike was not suitable for the Ryan--if I had to ride the Raleigh, I was going to at least be comfortable while in the sessions).

After I got home from work Wednesday, Jenn reminded me that the Ride of Silence was that evening, so we hustled downtown (on bikes, of course) for that ride. After the ride, I wanted to go across the bridge with a group, but realized I wouldn't have time with available daylight (I was on my Strada for the evening, and it doesn't have enough lights for nighttime use), so home we went--again at a good hustle. I had a flat tire a mile from home, and it was a tire failure, so we stopped to fix it. I keep a spare tire in that bike's bag most of the time, and it was a good thing it was there that evening.

Yesterday, I rode to the Galt House again. The conference only went until shortly before lunch, at which time I realized I had left my wallet at home. I rode home to get it, and decided that I didn't really have time to ride to N'Awb'ny, so I drove over.

However, I rode to work again today--again in a kilt, again on the Raleigh. I had to attend a meeting at the Liberty Street office at 8:00, and go from there to Old Louisville to inspect some work being done before heading for N'Awb'ny for the afternoon.

Riding is much more fun than driving...

Tonight, I get to assemble at least one of the new RANS Sequoia Crank-Forward bikes. A friend custom-ordered one, and is one of those folks who prefers to trust me when it comes to finer details of bike final assembly and tuning. He also gets to combine his trip to me with a trip to a favored grocery store. It's nice to be so convenient for my friends.

No comments: