08 May 2009

That was the week that...sucked

Yeah, I drove to work Tuesday. Wednesday, I rode the Raleigh (in office clothing) to the main office for a meeting, figuring on dealing with a little rain, but in riding clothing, for the trip across the bridge to the usual work site and for the trip home.

Got to the office in time to learn that I had gotten a voice mail telling me to be there almost an hour earlier. Got to the meeting (an hour late) and learned that we have an "all hands on deck" pre-inspection thing happening for two of our properties.

After the meeting, I had to wait for my copy of a key I would need to do my next task--placing notices in tenants' doors alerting them that I would be doing the pre-inspection in a couple days (today). Got the key, had the notices already printed, so I hopped on the bike and headed down the street.

Rain started getting a bit heavier the further I went. By the time I got to the apartment in question, it was starting to reach "shower" levels of rainfall. Naturally, the master key I was given was NOT the right one. I called my supervisor to inform him of such (politely as I could, given my frustration level at the moment), and got back on the bike to head back to the office.

On the way to the office, I changed course to go home and get dry clothing. The rain cape is not much good in heavy showers, frankly, and may be abandoned for hard commuter use. I MAY consider another one, or talking to the makers of the one I have to see if I got one that didn't get coated, for example. It is clearly NOT waterproof as I understand the term.

In any case, I got partway out on Frankfort Avenue and decided to hit a bus shelter for a break from the water pouring down my neck. I looked at the schedule, and thought I might see a bus going my way shortly to make the trip home a bit more tolerable. Sure enough, the bus arrived. I loaded my bike on the rack and got inside the bus.

While I was on the bus, my supervisor called, asking me where I was. I told him I was on my way home to get dry clothing and my car, and he said he didn't blame me. He then told me he had the correct key, that my call had made a few folks scramble a bit, and that my copy of the correct key would be where I could get it shortly afterward.

I've not been on a bike since getting home about noon Wednesday.

Yesterday and today, my travel schedule has been uncertain enough and the weather lousy enough that I felt it best to drive.

With the weird stuff happening at work, I may or may not get to ride next week. If I don't get to ride, I'll be ticked. It is Bike to Work Week, after all.

Bollocks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your frustration. I rode even less this week. Just one day of a partial commute.

I will be participating in the "Ride your bike to work" thing on Friday. I don't live anywhere near the starting locations, but I figure I can do a partial-commute, and ride (the 'bent!) to Seneca park, then downtown with the group.

Will you be making that one?

bikeolounger said...

Don't know. That one leaves Seneca about an hour after I usually leave the house for N'Awb'ny. My first destination for the coming weeks will be roughly 22nd and Wilson, and I haven't timed that route. I don't expect to have to haul stuff aside from my clipboard, nor do a lot of running all over hell and half of Jefferson County, but driving may be the order of the day, at least for Monday.