06 July 2009

catching up

Lessee...didn't post much last week--not much to say, really (or maybe it was that there was other stuff happening and I didn't take time to post?).

I got home Monday night--tired. Did some errand-running on the Vanguard Tuesday afternoon. Rode the Vanguard to the main office Wednesday morning, changed into street clothes for what I thought would be a training session, found that I was not given the correct schedule, rode to N'Awb'ny, realized I should have stayed at the main office for another hour and a half for a meeting I should have remembered...

Rode to work Thursday, too, and got to go home early, after an afternoon celebration over passing some recent federal inspections. We were off Friday, so I worked in Mom's yard, as I had done Wednesday and Thursday evenings. I helped my stepfather remove some dead trees (having a dead tree fall is inevitable--whether the timing and direction of the fall is controlled is the issue). Jenn was there with me, and she got to learn to replace fence posts (there are several of them rotted off below ground level after eighteen years in place). We have a few more posts to replace, but ran out of posts.

On Saturday, I rode my first century of the season. Most years, I've ridden at least two or three by now, some years I rode four or five by this time (if one counts the stacking of club rides, say riding to a sixty or seventy-five mile ride starting at 8:00 am followed by riding to a twenty-five mile ride in the afternoon then riding home for about a hundred miles, which I've done in the past). The Madison Century is on the schedule for the weekend closest to July 4th, timed to arrive in Madison Indiana during their annual Regatta (We got to hear a couple of the fast hydroplane boats doing qualification laps as we climbed the hill out of town on US421, but I didn't stay for the fun). By the end of the ride, my average speed was still over eighteen miles an hour! This is good, because I plan to do RAIN in two weeks and want to be sure I'll have the legs for it. Apparently, my bike commuting is keeping me from losing whatever strength I have--surprising since my commute is pretty flat and by century-ride standards very short, not to mention that I'm on a different bike than I use for century rides.

From the ride start/end point in Prospect, I drove to Simpsonville for a July 4th party.

Yesterday, my friend Harry and his wife Sherry held a party to celebrate my engagement to Jenn. It was a great chance for some of Jenn's family and friends to meet some of my family and friends. In keeping with human nature, I suppose, there wasn't a huge amount of cross-conversation, but what did happen was good. At some point over the weekend, I discovered that the Vanguard has developed a leak in the rear tire/tube. I installed a new tube as a teaching moment for the class Monday evening, and have decided that I REALLY need to replace that rear tire. I've also found a broken spoke--something this wheel is not supposed to be doing, although it does see rough service with a lot of weight on it.

Since I'm teaching this afternoon, I'm tight for time after work, and drove today. I have meetings at the main office every morning but Friday this week, which may make riding to work problematic, but I'll see what I can do. My legs don't feel bad at all today--didn't feel bad yesterday, either. I can run the stairs in the apartment building with my usual flair today.

Yep, run the stairs. One of the resident children had some friends over a week or two ago. They were using the elevator to get from the main floor up two floors. I watched them get on the elevator, then ran up to their destination floor and was standing by the elevator by the time the door opened, amazing the friends. The things one does for self-amusement...

No comments: