On my way home yesterday, as I neared the bridge, I encountered a couple who were bicycle-touring. They had missed a turn, so I helped them with that. They were excited to see my Ryan with the panniers mounted, initially thinking me also a touring rider. I told them I was commuting, of course, but we got to talk a few moments about their trip before a motorist interrupted our conversation to ask me about my bike.
With the interruption, I didn't get to talk more with them than to find out they had left New York (not sure where in New York, upstate or wherever), ridden to Florida then to California then up toward Washington state before heading home via Jeffersonville IN. They were on their way to Charlestown Indiana via Utica, from what I could tell, but we never got to discuss, "Why Charlestown?" They may have been going to visit David, for all I know, but I had no way to know.
They had been out ten months--what a trip to remember!
As mentioned, a motorist interrupted our visit to ask me about my bicycle. After chatting with him a minute or two more about recumbents and availability of same, I went on home. I wanted to ride the Tuesday evening ride from Burdorf's, as it would be my last opportunity for some hard pushing before RAIN this coming weekend. My average speed for last night's ride was a tick over 19 mph, and the climb up Glenview really slowed me down. I've not been climbing well the last couple seasons, mostly because I haven't been out climbing a lot the last couple of seasons.
Maybe I can work on that a bit in the coming weeks...
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
1 comment:
Well, they weren't coming to meet me. I wish I had 10 months for touring. It sounds like a blast.
Post a Comment