Some of the riders are among those I call "friends." The ride captain, if who I think it was, is a close friend.‘Safe' bicyclists?
Last Sunday morning while heading to church services around 7:40 a.m., my wife and I encountered a group of bicyclists (which we assumed was some sort of club because several had the name “Mad Dogs” on their jerseys) who were pedaling through downtown La Grange.
Over a four-block stretch, this group of “safe” bicyclists blew through three stop signs, rode four and five abreast and zigged and zagged in and out of the two northbound lanes, which had been reduced to one lane for construction at the railroad tracks at Main Street (where they also failed to stop).
Then, as their final insult to traffic laws, these “special people” continued straight (north) on Highway 53 at the intersection of Highway 146 from the “right turn only” lane, also without stopping at the four-way stop sign.
In this four-block stretch, we did not notice one person driving a motor vehicle ignore the traffic laws or who even gestured to these lunatics about their disregard for traffic laws or about their rudeness. And isn't it curious that we keep hearing from the ultra-loud bicycle community about how motorists who disobey the traffic laws create issues for them.
Within the club, there is a "obey the law, wink, wink," mentality. I am not immune to it, but I'm more careful about it than many. Part of my caution has manifested itself in doing fewer club rides and more solo (i.e. commuting) riding.
Oh, well. Off to work for the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment