14 March 2010

Bad driving, celebrated?!?!?!

Maybe I'm missing something, here. There is a new show on The Travel Channel (which I don't get, BTW, since I don't have a television), called "America's Worst Drivers." The web site claims it to be a reality-show elimination (a good metaphor?) challenge with the worst driver's car eventually going to the crusher (and the worst driver gets a bicycle to ride instead of driving--now THERE is a positive message for cycling as transportation!).

My computer won't even let me see the "sneak peek" video to see if there is anything of merit in t he show, so it must be bad.

From what I can tell, they are trying to find a humorous way to say, "get the really bad drivers off the streets." I hope so, anyway. What I see so far is that they are putting the contestants, nominated by friends/family as bad drivers, through obstacle courses designed to humiliate them into becoming more aware as drivers. The whole concept sounds a bit like a Jerry Springer stereotype, to me. I mean, who is going to set themselves up to be ridiculed like this, and for how much money?

No comments: