20 September 2010

Car-Free day coming up

This is especially for folks who don't typically ride to work: This Wednesday, the 22nd of September, is "Car Free Day." The challenge is to do as many of your daily tasks that involve transportation without using a car or other form of motorized transport.

CART is planning a celebration of Car Free Day that includes a parking space on Market at Fourth (unless I got that confused with the discussion of Park(ing) Day this past Friday).

Going car-free takes a bit of planning, to be sure. I often do things like pre-place clothing at work, plan errands that require I carry large items or lots of stuff for other days (or use a bike trailer for what I can haul--up to a hundred pounds or a few cubic feet, depending), plan trips longer than I want to ride (or to those few areas where cycling is not a good idea for whatever reason) for different days, and so on. Over time, the planning becomes more automatic, though.

Two of my three bikes are rigged to carry at least some cargo beyond the volume of the seat back bag I have on my Strada (which is huge by performance bike standards--I can put a spare helmet in there). I can pull a trailer with my Vanguard, my Raleigh, or the tandem (Jenn and I did an errands run on Saturday using the tandem and one of our trailers).

My ride to work is eleven miles or so, each way. It takes me less than an hour by bike--usually fifty or fifty-five minutes each way. It takes me between twenty and thirty minutes by car, depending on traffic volume and my fortunes with traffic lights. That extra twenty minutes each way allows me to get miles on my bike (more on miles in a moment), NOT have to pay for gym membership to get a cardio work plan going, pay less for car insurance, improve my health and mood without drugs, and more in addition to the more obvious benefits like paying for less gasoline and less frequently having to work on the car.

I'm tempted to use the expression from those old television commercials for Alka-Seltzer: "Try it! You'll LIKE it!" However, in that context, the food being pushed was considered the cause of gastric distress, so I have to consider it a bit more.

Yeah, there are elements of cycling instead of driving that raise one's awareness of one's frailty. Some of those motorists are really jerks about sharing the road with cyclists. The law is what it is, however, and they have agreed to act in accordance with the law when they obtained their drivers' licences.

My observation, though, is that most drivers are pretty good--even those who don't really know as much as I'd like for them to know about dealing with bicycles. They don't hold any malice toward me--or you--as cyclists or as road users. I like to wave at them when they've given me more room than they might have (with all five fingers, of course!), to show them I've noticed their kindness and encourage further kindness to other cyclists. It's not entirely altruistic, of course: I want them to recognize me in the future as a legitimate and courteous road user, as well, since I ride the Westport Road corridor almost daily.


I was running late for my normal departure time this morning. I could have opted for the car, but I chose to ride a bike I don't normally use for my commute. My Strada is MUCH faster than my Vanguard--I averaged about 18 miles an hour on the way to work instead of the usual 12 or so. I didn't get to carry some things I wanted to carry, as I don't have the cargo capacity, but I got to work on time.

A peek at my stats on mycyclinglog.com showed me that I will break four thousand miles for 2010 later this week--probably some time Thursday or Friday, depending on what I do Thursday. A bit over twelve hundred of those miles are club miles. A bit under three thousand of those miles are in leiu of using a car (i.e. utility cycling), something that touches on that planning stuff I mentioned earlier.

I find that by using the bike instead of the car, I do my errands more efficiently. I plan them for loops instead of multiple trips when I can. If I don't really need something, I leave it at the store. I get to re-allocate money I would otherwise use for gas or other stuff I don't need to buy nicer food instead.

No comments: