Most mornings, I have uneventful rides to work. This morning was almost uneventful.
I was on Westport Road, approaching the traffic light just west of Hurstbourne Parkway that gives access to the shopping plaza where Kroger and Louisville Athletic Center are located. A motorist in a Honda CR-V rolled down his window and opined that "we would all be safer if you stay farther to the right." I replied that, no, he was wrong--I was far safer where I was in the lane (about the middle of the lane, tending toward the right tire track). He would hear none of it, of course, as he was plainly not in the mood for dialog. I offered to discuss it with him, and share with him why I felt I was safer, but he drove off, yelling something about the world revolving around me, and no doubt muttering to the two small children in his car how "that cyclist is such a selfish bastard."
Motorists make such claims to get cyclists out of their way. They think that having a cyclist out at the edge of the pavement is somehow safer, or at least that telling me it's safer will get me out there so they can pass me illegally in my lane instead of having to slow down a bit and wait for a chance to use the next lane over. Their imprecation for me to change my behavior has not a whit to do with my safety as much as it has to do with their perceived inconvenience at having to deal with a cyclist on "their" roadway.
I periodically sift through the Kentucky Driver's Manual looking for passages that support such viewpoints as expressed by that motorist from this morning. I've yet to find any. I keep finding things that are directly opposed to his viewpoint. It makes me wonder whether that driver ever read the manual he was required to read when he "earned" his license. I keep wanting to challenge people like him with a copy of the manual, and ask them to find for me the part that supports their outlandish claims. Of course, none of them want to take the time to find it--they are in far too much of a hurry to get where they want to go to have any dialog at all about traffic rules, especially a dialog that could lead to their discovery that they are wrong.
Keri posted on her Cycling Orlando blog about Cyclist Inferiority Complex, in the context of her description of what otherwise was an excellent trip. I don't think anyone would diagnose me as having it, given what I freely admit is something of a metaphorical chip on my shoulder regarding my place in traffic. I really need to get some signs made with the image on the back of Keri's jersey, and mount them on flags hanging from my bike.
I was reminded recently of the horizontal flags that some cyclists had a couple decades ago. They seem to be available in other countries even today. I keep thinking about having one with a very sharp barb on the end for motorists that crowd me as they pass--maybe even figuring out a way to spread acidic gel on a car that is especially egregious about crowding me...
Then I find something better to do than daydream.
2 comments:
Now that I've moved, I've gotten very close to car-free. I don't drive at all unless going somewhere with my wife, or travelling some distance.
I *think* my LHT can handle 40lbs of dog food, but I haven't had to find out yet, as my wife did the shopping.
I'm still considering a trailer... or a cargo bike. :)
Oh, and some how, I posted this comment to the wrong post. Oops!
Post a Comment