23 September 2010

UPS Flight 6

A few weeks ago, UPS had an inflight disaster involving a 747-400 freighter. You probably saw something about it in the news.

It was especially poignant for me, as the pilot's wife is a customer of ours at the store. Jenn works for UPS, and reported that it was a day of interruptions in the work schedule (to understate things a bit). The UPS Air Group building has been flying the UPS flag at half-staff since.

The remains of the air crew are to be repatriated Friday morning. As an employee of the UPS Airline, Jenn is able to go. I may get to go also--an opportunity to pay my respects.

There has been much speculation regarding the cause of the crash--much of it including discussion of smoke in the cockpit and ways UPS could have equipped the airplane to improve survivability of such a thing. I don't know enough to say that this or that could have made things better (or worse). I only know that UPS lost some important people that day--important to UPS, to their families, to their friends and neighbors.

And to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I had no idea you had a connection with the guy. Sorry to hear that.

bikeolounger said...

'Twas a somber ceremony. In the hour or so we were there prior to the arrival of the aircraft, I encountered several folks I knew when I was a ramp rat there. It's something of a comfort to know that folks there remember me as the worker I was. If I ever REALLY need another job, I'd have a couple recommendations in my pocket.