22 September 2010

Seriously? Can this guy be for real?

While not a huge issue in world events, it's still puzzling that the head of what used to be considered an institution of some sort of higher education would post such comments.

I'm referring to Albert Mohler, President of the Southern Bat-shit, er, Baptist Seminary, and his opinion that the practice of yoga is antithetical to christianity.

Huh?

Okay, he's entitled to his opinion. I get that. I have opinions to which I'm entitled, also. I can be batshit about them, too, but I usually try to support my position with facts rather than scripture, as the latter is, at least to many of us, purely conjecture and not supportable with anything approaching the rigors of scientific research. Christianity is one more in a long line of mythologies, designed to explain what humans did not understand and keep said non-understanding humans in line with what the power structure wanted (want everlasting life? Do as I say and worship this deity...).

Yoga is, to be sure, closely associated with Hinduism and/or Buddhism, and is thus decidedly NOT something Mohler wants christians to practice, lest they lose some perceived favor with his god. In his blog post (which was painful to read, I might add, given the level of dogma so often found in writings of the pious), he admitted that the physical exercises associated with yoga are not in and of themselves bad for christians, but that following the spiritualism associated with many forms of yoga is a bad thing to do.

He even said something about christians having to meditate on sentences from the bible rather than on incomprehensible syllables. I guess he never heard of "speaking in tongues," which I hear of from time to time in certain other christian sects--notably not baptists.

What a shame that this guy is given any status at all...

1 comment:

Barturtle said...

"Trustees of the Southern Baptist Convention’s international missions agency this week approved more flexibility in its controversial policies on speaking in tongues and private prayer language."

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070510/southern-baptist-trustees-approve-leeway-for-speaking-in-tongues/index.html

Bunch of nutjobs, the whole lot of them.