An otherwise good ride to work was spoiled by a stupid cager.
Aside from the rage, which is cooling, I'm fine.
I was approaching the rail crossing on Frankfort Avenue, and a white suburban assault vehicle was crowding me from behind. I signaled with my left hand that I was going to be moving side to side, then swerved to the left to set up for the off-angle crossing. The impatient motorist then swerved to the right and passed me on that side, blocking my intended path across the tracks. In my efforts toward recovery, I was unable to stop before crossing the track, and my front wheel got caught in the tracks. I of course fell immediately, although fortunately I was almost stopped at the time and the fall was not damaging to me or my bicycle.
I all but bounced off the pavement, cussing a blue streak. I got the bike back up, did a one-second inspection, and got on the road. I rode through the bolus of adrenaline, saying, "ride out the rage, ride out the rage." The motorist got lucky on a couple of traffic lights, and got away from me. No other witnesses were in a position to chase down the motorist for me.
I don't know the traffic codes well enough to know the exact terms for what the motorist did wrong. My layman's terms would include: Improper passing, reckless driving and leaving the scene of an incident (my fall that s/he caused). Given my "druthers," I would add wanton endangerment, but I doubt that would hold.
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
2 comments:
I'm glad you and your bike are fine.
Welcome to blogging!
Thanks, David! Back on the bike today, and aside from some noise from a new set of brake pads, it's fine.
Post a Comment