25 November 2008

Tuesday thoughts

Where to begin? I drove to work today--long story short, the dog was at least partly to blame. Our morning walk didn't yield any solid results, and took long enough that I would have been late going by bicycle. I had some stuff that I kind-of needed to do before going to work, so I stayed home that extra twenty minutes or so and drove. Good thing, too, as the bridge was closed earlier in the day due to a crash (motorist died after hitting the side superstructure of the bridge), and was expected to remain closed until well after I needed to be home. I have a concert to attend tonight.


On other topics: I have gotten too close to violence lately. Not my own rage of a week and a half ago, but violence done by others to others. Yesterday, my travels took me to within a half-block of a recent (as in an hour or two prior) shooting, near the intersection of 22nd and Lytle Streets in the Portland area. Today, a car was found in the Ohio River, less than a mile from a point on my bicycle commute route. The occupant was found, dead, in the passenger seat. The investigation led the police departments to the building I manage--apparently the victim was close to one of my tenants. This leads to an unsettled feeling--one I do not relish, but cannot name. I simply do not know the right expression for it. I could stay home, rather than go out where this sort of thing could get even closer to me, based on some sense that I'm attracting violence, but I don't think I'm attracting it. I think it just is, and I happen to be traveling near there at the time. If I'm attracting it, I would rather attract it away from home. I don't want it close to my home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did drive today also, but the bridge was open by the time I was heading home. I didn't even know about the accident on the bridge until after I got home.

I wonder how fast the driver was going... the speed limit is 35, but people regularly do over 50 there.