After wimping out yesterday due to wet weather and having to haul stuff, I rode this morning. I have to rush home this afternoon, so that I can participate in the LBC's "Trainer Tours" tonight. This will be my speed work for the winter time, with my commuting being my general maintenance work. At least that's the plan.
On my way to work, I sometimes count the cars that pass me on the bridge. This morning, the twenty cars that passed me waited until AFTER I had passed the mid-point (approximate--I'll call the middle expansion joint the mid-point for ease of use). Some mornings, I'll be passed by thirty or so cars, some mornings as few as fifteen. Afternoon pass counts (from pillar to pillar) usually range from thirty to fifty, with some well beyond (I don't count them on days I'm too busy riding safely in heavy traffic). I sometimes catch sight of an unusual truck as I approach the bridge and look for it when I get to the KY side to see how my speed compares to the interstate speed. Often as not, I beat folks who are in the right lane to use the exit at the end of the Kennedy bridge. Some weeks ago, I mentioned elsewhere that I got to Mellwood Avenue at Spring Street east of the old Stock Yards in time to see a truck cross the bridge over Mellwood on I-64 that I had noted as I pulled away from the old Colgate plant. I'd had to stop for no telling how many lights, but still made as good of a time for a slightly longer distance than someone using the interstate!
Boulder, Louisville, and press coverage of crashes
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment